Saturday, February 25, 2012

Clara Bell... Our Little Miracle

I know that I have not done an entry for a few days.  Give me a few minutes of your time and I will explain why.  It has been a very busy few days!

On Thursday morning while checking the pasture that has the cows with calves at their side in it, I heard cows in the next pasture bawling.  This peaked my curiosity because these cows either have not calved yet or are open (not pregnant).  I looked over and saw a cow that I didn't think was anywhere near calving was licking a calf.   I went back to the barn to get the four wheeler so that I could get it to the barn.

When I got up next to the calf, it didn't move except for the constant shivering.  I am thinking this is not very good.  I got off the four wheeler to pick her up and could very easily do so and climb on four wheeler while holding her in my arms.  (Even though I do not consider myself weak, I should not be able to do this with a newborn.)  As I start for the barn, mom has her nose on the calf and walks beside us all of the way.  Alan has the barn open, heat lamp on and the stall ready.  I climb off of the four wheeler, calf in hand and take in under the heat lamp.  Mom is right behind us.  Alan leaves for school and I call Dad so that he can come to help me.  Mom is licking Clara Bell so I went to look for a twin since she was so small.  I looked and looked, but did not find one, so back to the barn I go.  I get a couple of clean rags and start rubbing on Clara Bell, because she does not seem to be getting warm.  After some rubbing, she starts to raise her head.  Mom is licking on her the whole time I am rubbing to help get her dry and get blood circulating.

When Dad gets here he starts the truck so that it can warm up.  After it is warm, we put Clara Bell in to help warm her up.  We let mom back out into pasture to see if she will go to a twin.  She doesn't she stays right by barn bawling.  At this point, I leave for my job off of the farm and Dad and Mike continue to care for Clara Bell.  They get her warm in the truck. They then give mom some feed in a feed pan, place Clara Bell over a straw bale (the straw bale is used to support the calf so that those helping her nurse do not have to hold the calf too) and help her nurse so that she gets milk.  Yes, all of this is done in a stall in the barn without restraining mom or giving her any medications to calm her.

After work, I give mom more feed so that Clara Bell can be placed on straw bale and assisted in nursing again.  I don't feel like she is getting enough milk so while mom is still eating, I milk her into a bottle.  I then put the nipple on the bottle and feed Clara Bell some out of the bottle.  Mom was let out of the stall to get water and hay while Clara Bell went to sleep under the heat lamp.  After a volunteer commitment,  it is back to the barn to give Clara Bell more milk.

On Friday morning it is up and repeat the process of feeding mom and helping Clara Bell nurse.  She is trying to get up on her own now!  We are celebrating baby steps.  Off to my job for the day after Clara is under her heat lamp with a full belly.  Evening chores and we repeat feeding mom, helping Clara Bell nurse, but tonight she can keep the back teats in her mouth too!  Another baby step (starting to think she might make it)!  After she eats, I stand her up off of the straw bale and make she has her balance.  She stands unassisted for 15 minutes! (It's getting hard to contain the excitement now!)

Friday evening, Ashley has come home and is begging to help me feed Clara Bell so to the barn we go.  Feed mom, get straw bale and Clara Bell, start nursing.  We can keep all teats in our mouth!!!!  After nursing I stand her off of bale again and make sure she is balanced.  SHE TAKES HER FIRST STEPS!!!!  (OK, my excitement is no longer contained.)  After taking a few steps, she starts playing with Ashley (above picture)!  Tears come to my eyes.  (Excitement, shear exhaustion, delight, a mixture of all?  who knows and who cares?)  My baby that I thought wouldn't make it when I found her is showing real signs of pulling through.  We decide to weigh and measure her like every other calf that is born on the farm.  She is 47 pounds and 25.25 inches tall.  Much smaller than we are used to, nut a live calf none the less.

Saturday morning I stand her up while I let the other calves out with their moms.  All I had to do was lift a little under her hip and she did the rest!  She stood for about 25 minutes while I was working with the others.  I then get her straw bale, put her on it and then poured mom's feed.  As mom walked past her to get to the feed, Clara's head immediately went up and her tongue started working like she was trying to get the teat in her mouth without my help!  After I arranged her where she could reach, she continued trying.  I helped her for a while to ensure that she got milk to continue to get stronger then I let her try on her own to learn.  After we were done nursing she stood and walked for another 20 minutes!

During this time I had some people tell me that I was putting to much effort into one animal or that it would be much easier just to bottle feed the baby.  It maybe a lot of effort for a few days, but it is worth it if the animal (calf) survives.  With only 40 cows to calve this year, I can not afford to not try to save one especially since it only cost me time and a little gas.  As far as bottle feeding, that is a long term commitment.  This way I have a few days to work hard and then mom can do the rest.

Until next time,  remember.......Beef, It's What's for Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment