Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bulls Are NOT Always Mean and Supporting Others

 
One of 4-H club members leading a yearling bull from water to tie back up.  This is the first time she as been around cattle this closely.  He did not give her any problems!

 
This is a client of my daughter's, A to Z Photography.  This is his six month pictures with one of our baby bulls.  He was pulling on the bulls ear and hair and he just laid there the entire time.
 
 
I am so sorry that I have not posted any for awhile.  A couple of weeks ago, we had one of our gates opened by someone and our cows were on the road.  Fortunately, a neighbor stopped and told us they were out before any of them or anyone was hurt!  We are grateful that we have friends that still care enough about others to stop and let us know.  It seems that type of generosity is lacking in our farm community.  When I was growing up, everyone in the neighborhood would be helping get them back in the pasture.  When I tell my children stories of us and others dropping everything to help a neighbor in need, they understand because we have raised them this way.  When our daughter met her husband and starting bringing his children to the farm, we would tell them these stories.  They did not appear to comprehend the concept of helping someone else when they needed it.  They have begun to realize how much this means to others through watching and helping us keep this type of working together for the good of all.
 
When I posted about the gate being opened on Facebook, one of my friends told me to be careful that some cattle had been stolen from around her area.  She said that they would have to watch the farmer's habits as well as know when the bull was in the field.  I asked her why a rustler would have to know when a bull was in the pasture.  She was under the impression that ALL bulls were mean.  I assured her that there were many bulls that were not mean and in fact were VERY gentle.  She was thankful to know that and thanked me for giving her correct information.  I asked her if I could use this example on my blog, and she said that I could.  I will not use her name, but feel that she should not be embarrassed by her lack of knowledge.  She is not nor was ever a farmer so she had no way of knowing except for what others told her and what she saw on TV and in the media.  I feel Blessed that I was able to share facts with her and let her know that many of us care greatly for our animals as well as our safety.
 
We are fortunate enough to be able to assist one of our soldiers while he is deployed overseas protecting our freedom.  We are assisting his family in any way we can on the farm while he is deployed.  It feels great to be able to do a little something in return for him and his family while he is serving to protect us!  I am humbled to be able to do this.  There is no way that we can possibly repay him for his service, but at least we are trying to do something.
 
Until next time, remember.......Beef, It's What's for Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment