Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's Just A..........



I am not trying to take this idea from the person whom posted it first, but when I saw this it made me think.

How many times have we heard it's just a ...(cow, dog, horse, etc)?  I can remember friends saying this to me when I was in school and had one die or was worried about one that was about to calve.  I would try to explain to them that they are more than just cows, when you spend so much time with them.  Some of them understood when I related to their pets, others just couldn't or wouldn't grasp the concept.  I have also seen my children go through these situations.  One in particular was when my daughter's first cow (that she had shown as a heifer) had to have a c-section.  The vet warned us that she may not make it and Ashley was so worried all of the time.  A few of her close friends understood what she was going through, but many did not.  As a mother, it hurt me that she was hurting so much and her friends couldn't understand.  We had a long discussion about what a true friend is and what a true friend is not.  This is a hard lesson for any child to comprehend and we have all been there ourselves and with our children no matter if we are farm families or not.  This is one way where families are all the same.  We experience many of the same trials and tribulations while raising our children.

Some of the life lessons come earlier for the farm children.  When you have your two or three year old out to check cows and the bull is breeding a cow, they are going to ask what is happening.  Some find it hard to explain to this to their children at age 10, imagine doing it at 2 or 3.  They also learn the fact that there is a circle of life at a very young age.  They also learn to eat the animals they have raised (that is why we raise them).  I will admit that them eating the first animal of theirs is tough on them, but they do get over it.  When Ashley was younger, her Grandpa bought her show steer to put in his freezer.  When we ate, she watched the packages to make sure they were not from her steer.  Eventually, we were able to sneak it in on her.  One night, as she was getting her second helping of spaghetti, I asked, "Jay (her steer) tastes good, doesn't he?"  She about came unglued that she had eaten Jay.  Then she stopped and said, "Yes, he is!"  Then she ate the rest of her food.

As moms, we all have difficult tasks to do as a mother whether we are on a farm or not.  We get our reward when our children grow and become productive members of society.  I find it rewarding that my daughter and her husband and his children are now part of our family farm.  My Grandchildren have changed so much since they have been coming to the farm and given more and more responsibilities when they are here.  It is truly rewarding to see the next generation of our family farm starting out.

Our son has also made my heart proud lately.  I have seen him grow into a responsible young man whom helped his nephews and niece learn how to do things on the farm and show their heifers last year.  It was also great to see him help dig out neighbors in the snow storms we have had in the last week.  When he does this on his own, I know that one of the most important things that I wanted to instill in my children has gotten through!  For any mom this is a triumph to celebrate.

Until next time, remember.......Beef, It's What's for Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment